Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Devastated......

Today my home town crumbed to the ground. I sat watching from afar, the tears rolling down my cheeks as i saw the spire gone from the Cathedral, the Press building in tatters, another collasped on itself. Roads buckled, cars crushed, people in tears. It is awful to watch, and to be so far away and not be able to do anything.
I have spoken to my parents, and they are fine. the outside cat is inside, and they have had no structural damage, but a family heirloom has been broken. They are lucky.....so far 65 people have been confirmed dead. I expect that to rise in the next 24hrs as all the buildings are checked and the rumble lifted from cars.

I took the day off work as i had been awake sine 2:20am when i got the call and was uttlerly exhausted by 6am, both physically and emotionally. Now i'm at 6's and 7's, not knowing what to do with myself. I keep asking myself why am i so far away from my family?. I cant answer that right now.
I know if the Captain wasnt around i would be seriously considering going now....what with this and the floods in Queensland. I must be going soft in my old age because the draw to be nearer family has never been stronger than today.

God bless Christchurch and all those who live there xx

No comments: