Sunday, June 8, 2008

First weekend on the allotment!.

blimey! tis hard work, especially today, when i reckon we had the hottest day this year!.

Yesterday i went and got my compost from Anns and headed over to the plot. i started digging a patch but found it is riddled with ants, so need to find some cornmeal. Apparently the cornmeal is a humane-ish way of getting rid of the ants, because if left, they will undermine your plants. So i outlined the size of the plot and gave it a rough weed, then moved onto the next one for the spuds that need to go in. Whilist doing this i meet the man(Jim) who has the plot next to mine, and who lives in one of the houses mine backs onto. Nice fellow...gave me to allotment lowdown and the history of my plot!. My plot was held by the same old man for about 20yrs, and has only been lying idle for 2yrs. seems it always had plenty of produce!. Jim's not a gardener, just potters around!. He offered to strim the edge of my plot, so i decided to give him some spare spuds, as he'd mentioned he might try some if its not to late.


I worked for about 2hrs then went home for lunch and felt ill(headache) so decided not to go back.


This morning i went up at about 830 for about an hr and a half....got the spud patch ready....turned and weeded 3x. then went home for a loo break and off to Crews Hill for some black plastic to control weeds and a rose bush!. ( i'd been talking to mum about Abraham Darby, thinking it was a climber, but it isnt...mum has just trained it that way!!....happy dance from me...its my fav rose!)


Luckily for me there was one Abraham Darby rose left so i brought it, along with 10ms of plastic...thats gonna have to be brought each week, cos its not cheap!.


Went back and met Sarah, the lady who had made contact with me via the Grapevine. We had a natter, then i went and planted my rose, and potatoes. By then it was 130pm and boiling hot, so i went home. Feel like i have a touch of heatstroke, so didnt go back to work, only to collect the stuff that i didnt want to leave overnight.



heres some piccies...

this is the plot about 130pm this arvo.....since then Jim has strimmed the edge, so its looking a little more tidier around the edges!. I plan on covering the bottom half with black plastic while i get this front section in order, then slowly work the rest.

The first thing i planted on my allotment....Abraham Darby rose!.

the potato patch.....2 rows of about 7 chitted spuds!!.

I'm really looking forward to turing this into a productive garden.....full of vegetables, fruit, herbs and cutting flowers.

No comments: